onsdag 11 mars 2015

Artifact 5



Artifact 5

This week I have been working on the final power up animations for the bat. As I showed in a previous blog post my different versions of the sketches for the power up four of them got chosen, a light blue, a green, a golden and a white one that had a lot of different colors. 

The light blue is a power up for when the bat is ready for shooting a projectile, the green one is for the toxic effect that cleared the bat`s path. The golden power up is for when the bat gets a speed boost and the last white one was for giving the player a “bat sense”  that then would give hints for upcoming enemies and obstacles.

We then decided to not use the white “bat sense” power up since it felt that it didn’t add any to game’s fun factor. So we then had three different power up effects that I had to animate.

I started with the blue power up and I used the final bat animation as model for my power up effect.

The program I have used are Photoshop, which might not be the best option, but it is the only program I know at the moment when it comes to animation.  I haven’t learned the timeline animation tool well enough yet so I have been using the frame animation option instead. 

I started to match the power up effect to each position that the bat is making when flying and  I have used different brushes, the eraser tool, the free transformation tool and warp tool to fit the power up effect with the bat´s different positions properly. I have also used “duplicate layer” to create many layers with the same power up effect so I have a lot of space to work with. 
















When it was ready and I was happy with the result I started to work with the green toxic one. Since I saved all power up effects in different layers from before when I was working on the sketches I just opened up the toxic version and started to do the same procedure as before. 


















When that was ready and I was happy with the result I started to work on the last one.  Some of the problems I faced when making the animations was that it was hard to keep the power ups consistency and style right when u change the form. Another problem was that it was hard to change the colors on the power up layers easily without also change the color of the bat when it was on the same file.
I did some tryouts with different colors but it was hard to achieve the right golden color that I aimed from at start for my last animation. So I tried to use one white instead and one white green and at the end I decided to go with the very light white and green power up instead for the speed.



2 kommentarer:

  1. Hej Tara!

    Tycker du lyckats få till några riktigt snygga animationer här! Bra jobbat! Kollade upp det tidigare inlägget du gjorde om just dessa power ups som du nämner i början av texten. Är kul att se hur de har utvecklats och att faktiskt se dom i rörelse! Ett tips för framtida inlägg, och för att göra det lättare för läsaren, är att länka till tidigare inlägg om du nämner dom i texten, är intressant att se hur processen gått.
    Vore också kul att höra lite om dina tankar när du gjorde animationerna, om du funderade på att rörelserna i gifen skulle symbolisera de olika power upsen på något sätt eller om du hade andra idéer på hur de kunde visualiseras än de som visas här på bloggen.
    Dock tycker jag du har fått med det nödvändigaste i inlägget och du förklarar bra vad du har gjort och hur du har gått tillväga. Tycker också att det är bra att du tar upp sådant som gått mindre bra, inte bara för att det är bra att reflektera över själv, men också för oss läsare få insikt i och att själva ha i åtanke när vi jobbar.

    Lycka till i fortsättningen!

    SvaraRadera
  2. Hej Tara!

    Till att börja med skulle jag bara vilja säga att det är väldigt kul att läsa och kommentera din blogg denna vecka då jag var med och skapade orginalkonceptet.
    Om vi ska gå vidare med blogginlägget så tycker jag att du har skrivit ett överskådligt och bra blogginlägg. Du beskriver tydligt vad du gjort och vilka verktyg du använt under arbetsprocessen. Jag tycker även att det du jobbat fram ser väldigt bra ut. En sak som jag tycker du gjort bra är att du lagt in flera bilder från olika stadier i arbetet. Detta gör det lätt att förstå hur animationen är uppbyggd, samtidigt som det är väldigt intressant att se varje stadie.
    En sak som du hade kunnat varit lite tydligare med är valen av din design. Jag hade velat höra lite mer om hur du tänkt när du förverkligat din ide, så det inte bara handlar om det tekniska. En sådant exempel skulle kunna vara att förklara varför du valt att ge den giftiga power-upen en grön färg. Detta känns för mig som ett naturligt val då grön ofta representerar giftiga ämnen, men jag skulle vilja höra dina tankar kring designvalen. Nu har jag förvisso inte läst dina tidigare inlägg som du nämner i början, och där kanske du går in mer på sådana delar.
    Som helhet tycker jag att det är ett tydligt och bra blogginlägg. Det skall också bli väldigt kul att se eran färdiga produkt, och jämföra denna med våran ursprungliga ide:)

    Lycka till! /Emil

    SvaraRadera